In simple terms, vaping for beginners, ‘vaping’ is a type of smoking. What exactly are you vaping? You’re vaping e-juices, also known as e-liquids. These are flavourful liquids that come in nicotine and nicotine-free varieties.
When you turn the device on, it heats this liquid, which turns into vapors. Via the mouthpiece, you inhale those vapors.
Vape pens come in an endless variety of styles, formats, sizes, and mods to pick from. Big Daddy Smoke is an excellent online place to explore those varieties.
Each model/design has its advantages. The variations revolve around different heating elements, battery size, tank size, wicking material, etc.
The wicking material is usually made of cotton that wraps the heating coil. The material absorbs the liquid, which gets turned into vapors upon heating.
In this article, we will discuss vaping for beginners. Primarily, these are four categories of vaping devices aka e-cigs –
- Pen-style mods
- Box-style mods
How Do Vape Pens Work?
As a beginner, it’s natural to wonder exactly how a vape pen works. To fully understand its working mechanism, you need to be familiar with different parts of a vaping pen.
A vape pen typically contains –
- A Lithium-ion battery (mostly rechargeable)
- An Atomizer
- A tank or cartridge
- A mouthpiece
- And a sensor
When you suck through the mouthpiece, the sensor receives a charge signal from the battery. This causes the atomizer temperature to rise. This rise in temperature causes the liquid to transform into vapes, which are then inhaled via the mouthpiece.
How To Use A Vape Pen For The First Time?
If you’re a beginner who has never had any experience with a vaping pen, it’s easy to be thrown in for a loop. But, using a vape pen is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. In fact, vape pens are designed to be intuitive.
Take out the device from the package and connect it to the USB connector. Remove the rubbered top that sits on top of the disposable cartridge. Then screw the cartridge on top of the vape pen.
If it’s a buttonless model, it will turn on automatically when you start inhaling. If it’s a push-button model, simply press the ‘start’ button, and this should put the device in ‘on mode.’ Once on, it will start producing vapors.
E-liquids come in a variety of flavors like citrusy, bubble gum, apple, cinnamon, and several other fruity and even more hardcore flavors.
You can keep using the device until you run out of e-juice. After that, you have to go for a refill.
How To Smoke A Vape Pen?
Once you have moved past your first experience with handling a vaping device, it is easy to learn to smoke it on a regular basis. The important thing to remember is to always keep the device fully charged. Always make sure the cartridge or the tank is filled with the e-juice and has the right nicotine amount.
There’s really not much to smoking a ‘vape pen.’ You just put the mouthpiece around your lips and start sucking it. Because of the ease and convenience factor, these devices have gained rapid popularity among users.
Word of caution – If you’re a beginner, you need to be mindful of going slow. Pick an e-liquid that is either nicotine-free or has no nicotine at all. Don’t try to suck too hard. Otherwise, a large big hit could be too much to handle. It could burn your throat and leave you with an unpleasant experience.
How Much Nicotine To Consume?
Many choose to vape because it’s fun and not necessarily because they’re looking for a hit of nicotine. Other times, you can use vaping as a replacement to smoking by going for liquids that carry varying strengths of nicotine.
Since no two liquids have the same strength, which nicotine you want to go with depends on your personal preference.
If you’re switching from tobacco or regular cigarette smoking, you might want to weigh in your previous everyday nicotine intake.
The most popular nicotine range is anything between 0-18 mg/ml. Within this scale, you get choices like 3mg, 66mg, 12mg, and 18mg.
Below is a reference chart to help you make a more informed choice –
- 0 mg – This range is perfect for everyone, including smokers and non-smokers. This is usually for those who want to give vaping a try. In this range, picking the right flavor is the only thing that will concern you.
- 3 mg – This is perfect for light smokers who want to give vaping a try just out of curiosity or a sense of exploration. This is the starting range if you want to go the ‘nicotine’ route.
- 6 mg – This level is perfect for regular smokers who are probably trying to get rid of smoking. This level of nicotine makes it easy to move up or down the scale of nicotine consumption easily.
- 12 mg – This level is not recommended for a beginner because it could lead to uncomfortable ‘throat hits.’ 12 mg of nicotine is perfect for those who are relatively heavy smokers and need their nicotine fix every day.
- 18 mg – This level is for the people who burn through packs of cigarettes in a day without any second thoughts. This is basically the ‘hardcore’ level on this scale.
What is the Cartridge Refilling Process Like?
The process of refilling the cartridge with liquid or e-juice is as simple as smoking/vaping the device itself. There are no ‘special’ instructions on how to refill the cartridge.
If you can use a syringe with a blunt needle tip should make the whole process a cakewalk. You should have no trouble getting hands on one such syringe at your local pharmacy shop. They are super inexpensive.
Here’s how to go about refilling the tank/cartridge –
- Unscrew the mouthpiece, which should leave the opening exposed.
- Take the syringe and fill it with your vape juice.
- Start injecting it slowly through the exposed opening of the cartridge. Keep filling it until the cartridge is full.
- Screw the lid back on the mouthpiece when it’s full.
- You are ready to vape now.
With this guide on vaping for beginners, you will find there’s a whole world of vaping out there. There’s so much to learn. You can keep learning new things about vaping, and every day will be a new revelation. It’s certainly a fascinating thing to try.
Especially if you’re trying to transition from smoking cigarettes of tobacco and ease your way into it, vaping can offer you the perfect outlet to start with.
Feature Image by Sarah J. from Pixabay