If you have decided to volunteer abroad, then it is time to learn about the different types of work this organization offers. A volunteer organization offers placements in all sizes and shapes. It is important to know which work is best suited for you. So, we have made a list of different types of volunteer programs. It depends on your motivation that which program is best suited for you. Every type has its advantages and disadvantages. So, it is important to do proper research before choosing any type. The types are as follows:
Short-Term Volunteer Programs
This type of program is no more than three months long. You need to provide community service, or you can focus on learning cultural experience. Most of these programs are not-for-profit purposes. Moreover, organizations are offering a great number of short-term work abroad programs.
- The program length is from one week to 3 months.
- The volunteer does not need to have any professional or educational qualifications.
- One of the most common work abroad programs.
This short-term program can help you work with local people from another country for a short amount of time.
Long-Term Volunteer Programs
The main purpose of these programs is to empower the local people. That is why; the volunteer needs to have some professional or educational qualifications. Because it has to transfer some kind of knowledge or skills. If you have some skills, then you can organize an independent volunteering project.
- These programs are not-for-profit.
- Moreover, the volunteer needs to have professional or educational qualifications to provide training.
- These programs are meant to transfer knowledge and skills to a group or an individual.
The advantage of this type is that the volunteer gets the chance to work closely with local people. It means you can make a big impact on the community. As the program is long, so a volunteer needs to wait for the results to become visible.
Conservation Volunteer Programs
This type of volunteer work is for environmental and conservation work in the field. Every organization has different goals and emphasis because they are separate from intercultural exchanges.
- The main focus of these programs in on the environmental issues
- If you volunteer, then you need to work in harsh environments with endangered animals.
- However, this type offers a great chance to learn something new and how to confront the conservation challenges.
It is very easy to measure your impact as a volunteer for the program. Because the results are visible in a short amount of time. The main disadvantage is that you may face hostility from agencies and local people. These kinds of issues are common in areas where there’s a tension between the need for economic development and the destruction of environmental resources.
These kinds of programs are offered by an organization in emergencies such as natural disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes. Moreover, these programs are offered on very short notices and concentrate on things like water, food, medicine, sanitation, and shelter.