Jewelry is the accessory you need to complete a look for your outfit. It can take your appearance from okay to stunning – but only if done right.
If you pair your outfit with the wrong jewelry, you can look tacky, unprofessional, and unpolished.
Luckily, you don’t have to worry about that because this guide will take you through 5 tips for choosing the right jewelry for your outfit.
Let’s get right into it.
1. Think About What Will Complement Your Neckline
According to jewelry market statistics for 2022, people buy more necklaces worldwide than any other jewelry type. This means necklaces are popular, and there are high chances you may be wearing a lot of them.
Since they go around your neck, it is important to consider the neckline of your outfit while choosing a neckpiece to pair it with.
As a general rule:
- High-neckline outfits (like turtle necks) go well with long or layered necklaces.
- Clothes with V necklines look great with short necklaces or chokers.
- Strapless tops or dresses look stunning with chokers, especially chunky ones.
- Dresses and tops with low necklines match perfectly with short chains, particularly the ones with similar shapes to your necklines.
- Outfits with round necks look good with necklaces of medium length.
- If your neckline has many embellishments, you may not need neckpieces. Instead, you can opt for other accessories like earrings, bracelets, and watches – which brings us to our second tip.
2. Decide On A Focal Piece Of Jewelry
A focal piece of jewelry is essential- the ornament you want people to look at when interacting with you.
You may be tempted to wear all your jewelry, especially if you have good pieces, but this can make you appear tacky. Also, you may overwhelm people, and they will not know what to pay attention to.
In general, avoid wearing a lot of bold jewelry at the same time.
Let’s say you want your earrings to stand out. Choose dangling ones, and keep your neckpiece simple.
If you want the focus to be on your necklace, wear one that stands out and pair it with simple earrings.
You can have two statement pieces, but no more than that. For example, if you have worn both dangling earrings and a chunky necklace, that’s enough. You don’t need to add bracelets, rings, watches, etc.
However, the best way to wear two pieces of jewelry that stand out is to spread them.
Yes, you can do both statement earrings and necklaces, but they can make the top of your outfit look busy. Instead, opt for huge earrings and a bold bracelet.
3. Consider Your Skin Tone
When you choose the right jewelry for your skin tone, you enhance your look.
- If you don’t know where to start, pick silver and diamond jewelry because they complement almost every skin tone.
- Silver or white gold jewelry will enhance your beauty the most if you have a cool skin tone. Other colors you can try include purple, blue, and red.
- Your best options are yellow/gold, green, and orange jewelry if you have a warm skin tone.
4. Consider The Occasion
The phrase dressing for the occasion doesn’t only apply to outfits but also to jewelry since they make up your complete look.
Here’s how you can choose the best jewelry for different occasions.
- You want to avoid flashy jewelry or over-accessorizing if you work in an office. For example, you can’t have hanging earrings, a bold necklace, a sparkly bracelet, and rings at the same time. These are too distracting and hence not appropriate for the workplace. Stud earrings are most suited for this environment. Also, avoid noisy jewelry that produces sound every time you move.
- Minimal jewelry works best for interviews and occasions where you meet people for the first time and want to make a good impression. For example, small earrings are enough or could be paired with a dainty necklace and maybe your wedding ring (if you have one).
- When it comes to formal events, less is usually best. Small or dainty jewelry complement fancy gowns or formal dresses. This is how celebrities usually dress for red carpet-events.
- There aren’t a lot of restrictions when it comes to romantic dates and informal parties. You can have flashy or sparkly jewelry or whatever you feel brings out your personality.
Find out more about jewelry for different events and the meanings of the gemstones they have.
5. Choose Something That Fits Your Style
It’s essential to consider your personal style when picking out jewelry for an outfit because it allows you to express who you are. As a result, you’ll wear it well and exude more confidence.
If you’re going for a professional look, then you need to stock up on minimal neckpieces and stud earrings.
To create a trendy look, you can experiment with different colors.
If a classic look is more of your style, diamond earrings and pearl neckpieces will help you achieve that.
For an edgy look, don’t be afraid to take risks. That means trying out chandelier earrings, ear cuffs, bolo necklaces, finger rings, and choker necklaces, among others. Oversized jewelry also helps to bring out this look.
Don’t worry if you haven’t quite figured out your style yet. Keep experimenting with different ones, and you’ll find what you like.
Pick Out Your Jewelry Like A Pro
As you’ve seen, a lot goes into selecting the right jewelry for your outfit.
Armed with these tips, you can confidently pick out jewelry that complements your outfits and elevate your look.
To recap, consider the neckline of your outfit, your skin tone, the occasion, and the one piece of jewelry you’d like to stand out and something that is in line with your style.
It may take a while to fully understand how to choose the best jewelry using these tips. Just be patient and consistent, and you’ll get it with time.
Featured Image by Elle Stallings from Pixabay